Bridesmaid Dresses: What Every Bride Should Consider
You have picked out an amazing outfit for your wedding and are starting to think about your jewelry and accessories. Now it's time to turn your attention to what your attendants will be wearing. Your bridesmaids are important to you in so many ways — take a little time to think about what you want them to wear before you head out shopping.
If you already have an idea what you want, that's a great place to start. When you are ready to start looking at bridesmaid dresses, we've created a bridesmaid dress shopping area for you to check out.
Here are a few more things to keep in mind as you look:
- How much do you want to use your wedding colors? Most brides choose one of their wedding colors for the bridesmaid dresses, while some alternate between two or more wedding colors. Make sure you look for dresses that come in the colors you want; you'd hate to fall in love with a dress only to find out that it only comes in pastels (and you are having a fall wedding).
- What do your bridesmaids like? Whether your bridesmaids are your sorority sisters or your extended family, not everyone is comfortable wearing a strapless dress. Today's brides often choose a color palette and then allow their bridesmaids to order similar dresses in that palette. Many stores allow you to mix and match pieces in a dress line to fit each bridesmaid’s taste and figure.
- Who is paying for the dresses? Usually bridesmaids are responsible for buying their own dresses, so be thoughtful about what they can afford. If you just have to have that gorgeous designer dress you saw in a downtown window — you might offer to help out with part of the expense (if your budget can support it).
- How long does the dress take to order? Some wedding shops have one-of-a-kind dresses in stock, while others need several months to order the dresses. Make sure you ask about this before falling in love with a particular look.
- How are alterations handled? Some stores build in a flat fee for alterations and have a seamstress on site, but that is not always the case. It's best to be clear about whether alterations can be done at the shop you are buying from, or if your bridesmaids will have to arrange that elsewhere.
Once you've decided what you want your bridesmaids to wear, make sure they get their dresses ordered right away.
It's also the perfect time to think about their bridesmaids gifts. As a way of saying Thank You, many brides choose jewelry for their bridesmaids to wear in the wedding. Now that you have their dresses picked out, you can start shopping for the accessories.
As you pick out your bridesmaid dresses, please share some of your experiences in the comments area below. It's a great way to help other brides!