10 Questions You Should Ask Wedding Caterers
Your wedding reception is a special time for you to socialize with family and friends over good food and drinks. Selecting the right caterer will take time, but it's worth it to find the team that will make your reception a success.
Start by asking friends and family for referrals or recommendations. If there was a wedding or event you enjoyed — find out who handled the catering. Once you’ve created a list of caterers, the key to success is having clear expectations by asking:
- Do you have to choose from a list of pre-designed dishes, or can you customize the menu?
- How do they typically accommodate special meal requests like vegetarian or peanut-free alternatives?
- If you intend to have alcohol served, can they accommodate you and provide a bartended if needed?
- Is there a corking fee if you bring your own wine?
- Are there cutting fees if you provide your own cake?
- Are there any restrictions that would prohibit your bridal party from decorating the location themselves?
- How far in advance of your event do you have to provide a final guest count?
- Are costs for setup, gratuities and clean up included in the quote?
- Does the cost include serving dishes, china, crystal, silverware and table linens, or are those handled separately?
- How long is the written estimate good for, and how much of a deposit is required to hold the location?
Once you have narrowed down the cateres and received a written estimate, go ahead and update your budget. If you don't have a written budget yet, use this easy budget tool to get started!
If you've got suggestions or other catering questions, please add your comments below. We also love feedback on our articles or suggestions for new ones.